If I could have a week like this past one every week, I wouldn't even think of retirement! This week was what I love to do on my job. Field trips. They're the best!
On Wednesday I took eight students out to Indiantown Gap for leadership training with the National Guard. They have an educational unit that works with all sorts of groups to train people to stand against the abuse of drugs and alcohol. Perfect for my SADD Club leaders.
We started with a nine station obstacle course requiring group participation. To demonstrate leadership, I started out strong - doing each station right along with the kids. There were three I couldn't do - two were physically challenging to me because of some back problems and one was just wet and dirty!
We had the perfect day, a wonderful group of students, a fun co-advisor, and great teachers. Here's some pics of the day...
Line up on the log - then reverse positions without touching the ground.
Everyone through the swinging tire tunnel...
Then over the logs - all different heights.
We all made it - this was the last obstacle. On Friday, another field trip. This time to Mission Central in Mechanicsburg where students in my Utopia Seminar (Man's Changing Views of Utopia) went to help make life a little brighter for others. Students packed flood buckets, rearranged boxes in the warehouse, prepared toothpaste to put into health kits, and helped clean up the area around the shipping dock. They had a blast - and worked really hard for 3 1/2 hours. Then we stopped for lunch at the new family restaurant in town. As one student said, I wish we could do this all the time! Me, too!



1 comment:
My high tech blog filter code named Anita informed me that there was an interesting post on your blog about last week. That sounds like a really fun job you have. Maybe you could retire and come back part time as the Field Trip Planner Coordinator Leader. They might even pay you so don't tell them you would do it for free.
Chuck
Post a Comment