Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Heading Home

Stopping at Lockport, NY, on our way back to PA, we took a cruise on the Erie Canal. I grew up near Canal Fulton, OH, and Rich and I lived near there for a year before moving to PA. I even taught at the high school there for a year, so we were well aware of the Erie Canal. It was fascinating to travel through the locks and hear some of the history of the canal. Rather than use draw bridges, the canal uses “lift bridges.” They lift straight up to let the cruise ship pass, then lower again for the automobile traffic.

Inside the locks waiting for the water to fill the lock and lift the boat.

A lift bridge - straight up and down to let boats through on the canal.


Here we are on the Erie Canal for a two-hour cruise on the canal and through two locks.







Wellsboro, PA. is a very pretty town near the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. We stayed overnight in town and took a drive Monday morning to the Canyon. Below is a picture of the Canyon. I guess we were there a little too early! We did take a mile-long hike and enjoyed the forest and what views we could get.


1 comment:

Matt Mitchell said...

What a great vacation. How rotten for us that we were away so that we didn't get in on some of it!

I love Uncle Rich's various smiles!

Love,
-Matt