Every summer I (Susan) try to get in a trip to Brookville, PA, to visit my Aunt Vaughn. She is the only remaining sibling of either of my parents. Vaughn is my mother's youngest sister. On Monday, August 3, I drove along the Juniata River, through State College, and on to Brookville. We had a nice visit, ate lunch together, and then I drove to my cousin Cal's house for a respite before returning home. Altogether I put 360 miles on the car (not the new one, though).
Vaughn will be 83 in October.
For nostalgia's sake I stopped at my grandparents grave site and drove past the old farm house. The house is in total disrepair, the yard full of weeds. Only one out building is still standing. It was sad to see, but brought back lots of great memories of when the house was alive with activity. I loved going there and spending time with my grandparents. Hopefully we can produce memories like that for our grandchildren!

Cal and Dorothy are remodeling their kitchen and still managed to invite me to partake of a wonderful dinner of chicken salad on a croissant and an oriental side salad. I provided the zucchini bread from our garden. (Have to get rid of it somehow!!) Their kitchen will be fabulous. We will have to visit again when it is finished.

No comments:
Post a Comment