Sunday, December 6, 2009

Decorations and Bible study

We have been talking about getting a large artificial tree for the past few years and this year we decided not to get a tree at all since we will be in CA for Christmas. So much for that idea. Yesterday I put a little tree in the entrance way at the bottom of the steps and we decided that would be a nice place for a tree. Problem was the little artificial tree I put there didn't quite look right. We went to Home Depot and bought a 9' tall skinny tree that fits perfectly. I guess we have joined the ranks of those who do not buy a fresh-cut tree.

[View of the new tree from the den]

The book of Romans

Our Bible study group has been together for many years. We have studied many books of the Bible, some taking a long time to complete - like Daniel and Hebrews. In the spring of 2007 we read about the life of the Apostle Paul in a book by Charles Swindoll. Then we tackled the book of Romans starting in November of 2007. Tonight we finished the last lesson - 2+ years later. I feel a bit sad, yet a sense of accomplishment to have studied every chapter and verse in the book. It's been a great study with a wonderful group of people. We use Precept Upon Precept study materials which encourage an in-depth study through observation of the actual text, interpretation through word studies, cross referencing and occasional use of commentaries, and application to our lives. If someone suggests a study in Romans, or preaches on a passage from Romans, I think I will see it as all new to me. There is so much in this book that we can never fully understand it. Next we plan to tackle the minor prophets Micah, Nahum, and Habakkuk. These studies have really made the Word of God come alive in my life. The Bible just seems to breathe God.

1 comment:

Where Our Treasures Are said...

The tree looks beautiful and fits so nicely in that corner.